We have been the Episcopal Church of the Ascension since 1868, when our first services were held in various locations in Bradford. In 1880 a church building in Rouseville, PA, was purchased for $500.00, dis-mantled, transported by wagons and rebuilt at our current location on Chautauqua Place.
Our first building burned down on Christmas Eve 1890 in a fire which destroyed the physical structure but not the Church.
The cornerstone of the “new” building was laid on April 23, 1891, and it remains our worshiping home – along with additional structures which have been purchased and renovated over the years that have increased our facilities.
In the 1880’s and 1890’s Bradford was an affluent town due to oil-created wealth and Ascension enjoyed a prosperous congregation that contributed to a beautiful worship space and our strong commitment to the Arts.
Today Ascension is an urban church surrounded by low-income and senior housing and our ministry focuses on outreach.
Over the years, Ascension has been served by many faithful lay ministers and clergy. Our current Rector, the Rev. Stacey Fussell, answered God’s call to Ascension and joined us in March 2010, bringing a passion for sharing the God News of God in Christ with all people and a heart for equipping and encouraging ministry.